Monday, May 31, 2010

vueltas

Had a couple of tours over the last little while, unfortunately no success to report of or even a report that all things are going well...

The first was a Vuelta Maestrazgo in Castellon(15-16 may), i was kind of happt just to finish this tour and did some hard work for a team mate on the 2nd day but we couldn't quite pull off the win.


I then had a week and a half to get ready for the Vuelta Navarra, a very important tour for our team with alot of pressure for me to perform, unfortunatly my buildup was far from perfect as i found myself just needing to rest almost completly, presumably for a sequence of events with crashes, the cold, getting sick and alot of travel.


The first day i was pretty unsure of how things would go and i was abit sluggish and suffered for awhile but rode into it pretty well, it just ended in a slightly reduced bunch sprint, the 2nd day was very similar. Day 3 was the first test with a hill finish, only 800m long but hard, the legs were good but luck was against me as i dropped my chain at the start of the hill, in the frustration of getting off my bike to sort it i ripped my foot out of my shoe aswell, sorting that lost me 1min but had me fired for the next day, the queen stage.


The team still wanted my to try for the overall classification so and all day escape was on the cards, Getting in the escape was the first bit, which i did along with a team mate who wanted to take the mountains jersey, unfortunately it wasn't to work out, as we were pulled in at 1/2 way, i still managed to hold on to the front guys when the gas was applied over the next few climbs but in the final ascent the tank was empty and i came in 11th, not a bad effort really. The final day i was more keen to just take it easy as it was a flat stage and easy for the leaders to control. I did this well untill the one climb of the day where things got abit crazy with all the guys close on GC trying their hands, then in the trickey and slightly greasy descent a guy infront of me locked up and a good pile of up ended upside down in a prickley bush, I copped a chainring to the wrist and was again in the ambo and off to hospital for more stitches, pretty frustrating really but it's not a major with nothing else that badly hurt or broken, still feeling like iv'e seen my fair share of crashes and ambo's this year though...


So ill be taking it easy for 4 days now then off to another tour in Galicia, Kinda hope i can keep it upright for once...
found this book in a local market, about a kiwi that tries to fly!! a good laugh


Untill then, cheers.


Mike